Selectman, residents call for removal of Stoughton town manager

Stoughton, MA   Selectman David “Spanky” Sousa said Hartman has to go.

“The town manager has to be fired. If I try to ask him something, I don’t get the truth,” Sousa said. “He is not the right fit for this town. If we have to buy his contract out, I think it will be the best quarter of a million dollars this town has ever spent.”

To read entire article CLICK HERE

Changing Our Government is Bad Business.

Fred DeFinis  Wellesley Townsman February 18, 2016

As a business owner and advocate I was intrigued by the prospect of a more efficient government for Wellesley. What business person wouldn’t want a more business-like approach to governing? However, after studying the work of the TGSC, attending hearings and working through eight long nights of Town Meeting, I see that we would not be getting a better or more efficient form of government for the people who matter most–our citizens. Instead we will get a costly extra layer of bureaucracy and will concentrate power in one person and an expanding group of bureaucrats to replace what has been a top notch citizen run government.

Continue reading “Changing Our Government is Bad Business.”

Letter From a New Town Meeting Member

By Kevin Hanron, Wellesley Townsman February 18, 2016

I’m writing, both as a 22-year resident as well as a novice Town Meeting member, to express my concerns related to the proposal before the people of the Town of Wellesley to approve a “Special Act” on March 15 to change to a Town Manager form of government.  An approval of this act would insert another layer of bureaucracy and independent decision-making between residents and our elected officials.

Continue reading “Letter From a New Town Meeting Member”

Town Manager and Your Taxes

Undisclosed Spending To Date:

Proponents have spent an undisclosed sum of our money to push through the Special Act. To date, the Town Government Study Committee (TGSC) has received two separate appropriations at Town Meeting (totaling $47,000) to study our town government and pose alternatives. Yet another appropriation of an unknown amount is expected to be requested at Annual Town Meeting in April. This third request will include additional money needed for already accrued legal services.

Continue reading “Town Manager and Your Taxes”

Vote ‘no’ on town manager proposal

By Lois Sullivan, Posted 2/11/16, Wellesley Townsman

Town Meeting has ended after a historic vote to change the way Wellesley is governed. It left me discouraged, amazed and upset. Important issues have normally been thoughtfully decided after options have been explored, debated and then a final plan brought back to Town Meeting for a vote. That did not happen this time and it leaves me asking why. I am left questioning the whole process and wondering why things unfolded the way they did.

Continue reading “Vote ‘no’ on town manager proposal”

Commentary: Vote no on Special Act changing our form of government.

Originally Posted Feb. 11, 2016 at 4:48 PM  (Wellesley Townsman)

WELLESLEY

By Donald S. McCauley

On March 15, the residents of Wellesley will decide whether to approve a Special Act creating a selectmen/town manager form of government that will significantly concentrate authority in the hands of a single official, the town manager.

To read entire article  CLICK HERE 

Message from Our Chair

FROM OUR CHAIR

On Tuesday, March 15, Wellesley residents will vote on whether or not to dramatically alter our current form of government.  We have organized to defeat this ballot question; we believe the proposed structure has insufficient checks and balances, and will significantly diminish the citizen involvement that has built the institutions which have made Wellesley strong.

Continue reading “Message from Our Chair”

Special Act – Impact on Wellesley’s Library Services

Read this well-researched background piece entitled “Special Act – Impact on Wellesley’s Library Services” about how the Special Act conflicts with Massachusetts General Laws, how it will cause problems and why it is bad for the Wellesley Free Library.

“The Board shall have the custody and management of the library and the reading room and all property owned by the town relating thereto. All money raised or appropriated by the town for its support and maintenance shall be expended by the board.”

MGL Chapter 78, Section 11

To read entire article CLICK HERE

Wellesley Board of Health Statement in Opposition to the Special Act Question

Read  this position paper entitled “WELLESLEY BOARD of HEALTH Statement in Opposition to the Special Act Question” on how the Special Act will impact public health, how it conflicts with Massachusetts General Laws, and how it separates the  the involvement of it residents from the public health services they receive.

Excerpts from this article

“The Special Act undermines the ability of the Board of Health to carry out its responsibilities and powers mandated under Massachusetts General Laws by stripping the Board of its direct management and supervision of the Health Department staff, who have traditionally served as its “health agents.”

“Since only the duly elected Board of Health has the jurisdictional authority as granted by the Commonwealth to enforce public health laws, the proposed town government plan leaves the Board with no health agent employees, and the Health Department employees with no jurisdictional authority.”

“A hired town manager with no public health knowledge, skills or aptitude should NOT be managing and supervising the Health Department.”

To read entire article CLICK HERE